In my younger and more vulnerable years...three records that had a lasting impact on Lindi Ortega

>> Thursday 7 February 2013

Welcome to a new feature on Painting over Silence in which musicians share records that had a lasting impact on themselves and discuss what it is about these albums that were - or continue to be - so important toward their own musical development. 


For the inaugural edition of In My Younger...Tennessee-via-Toronto-based Lindi Ortega and her wonderfully powerful, show-stoppin' pipes shares three records with us that have left an enduring impression on her.

Touring in support of her fourth full-lengther, Cigarettes and Truckstops, the talented alt-country purveyor pops our fair city for a date at the Park Theatre on Valentine's Day. Dustin Bentall and the Smokes are also on the bill.





Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

First of all, I don't know what's more outlaw than going to a prison and holding a concert for a bunch of inmates. Nothing gets me more than a live album, especially a live album done well. This record is a great example of that. Johnny Cash shines in this performance. I love all the little in between quips and the little mess ups here and there that remind us listeners that this is a live show -- raw, and unedited. Now lets get to the songs... I have to say Folsom Prison Blues is one of my favorite Johnny Cash songs ever, mostly because this line "I SHOT A MAN IN RENO JUST TO WATCH HIM DIE" crushes me every time! Johnny's juxtaposing lyrics and melodies have been a big influence on my own music as well as his signature chick-a-boom guitar stylings. With songs like The Long Black Veil, I Still Miss Someone, and amazing duets with June Carter Cash, namely an outstanding performance of JACKSON, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't love this record.



Hank Williams -  40 Greatest Hits

I love this record cause it's a compilation of all the great Hank Williams tunes and some of my most favorite are on it, like Lovesick Blues, I'm so lonesome I could cry, and Your Cheatin' Heart. The first Hank Williams song I ever heard was I'M SO LONESOME I COULD CRY, and I remember it really resonated with me. I'd say no one does a good old lonesome broken heart song like Hank. He's definitely inspired most of my love gone wrong tunes!  






Willie Nelson - Teatro

This is a great road album. I just love listening to it when I'm in the tour van watching the scenery blur by. First of all I love that its produced by Daniel Lanois. I've always loved his production style. Second, it has the wonderful Emmy Lou Harris singing harmonies, and last but not least it's chock full of stellar guitar playing and wonderful songs. 

1 comments:

Anonymous,  10 February 2013 at 22:56  

nice pics there

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP