In The Know...11 Questions w/ Jenny Berkel

>> Sunday 22 May 2011



Since she first started performing three years ago, resident singer-songwriter Jenny Berkel has been winning over audiences, thanks to her earnest, sincere song craftsmanship, deeply affecting voice, and sharp, poetic lyrics.

This Wednesday night (the 25th) at the Lo Pub, Berkel is holding an album fundraiser and tour kickoff show. Joining her on the bill are local musical acts The Crooked Brothers, Fire & Smoke, and The Empty Standards with proceeds from the event will go toward her debut full-length, due out this fall.

I recently caught up with Berkel and asked her 11 questions. Here’s what she had to say.

11 Questions…

1. Where are you right now?

Sitting at the table with my first cup of coffee, looking out the window at downtown Winnipeg.

Let’s talk Winnipeg…

2. Who is the most underrated Winnipeg-based band?

I just heard Bobby Desjarlais (Attica Riots and the Bokononists) for the first time and was completely captivated by his voice and performance.

3. What is your favourite local venue?

Photo Credit: Bryan Scott 
You can always count on a good show at the Times Change(d). But I love the sound at the Park Theatre.

4. Where do you shop for music?

I have the unfortunate habit of moving around too much, so I don't collect anything. Right now I buy music online - not my preference, but it's all I've got. I'm looking forward to the day I can get a record player and fill my rooms with tangible music.

5. Where is the best place in town to catch a bite?

Deseo - it's in the sun room attached to the front of the Albert, and has the most perfect atmosphere. The food is delicious and the coffee is extra strong. They also feature live music during Saturday's brunch, from noon until two o'clock.

6. What’s the worst bus route in the city?

Any bus route off of Portage seems daunting. And that number 29 is very elusive. I can never catch it.

7. What are some albums that completely changed your life?

Joni Mitchell - Ladies of the Canyon
Years ago, I found a scratched up copy of this at work and brought it home. I was living alone for the first time, and must have listened to it hundreds of times - she filled my apartment just right.

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
I can remember the exact moment I first heard anything from this album. It was "Landlocked Blues," a duet with Emmylou Harris - I was working at a summer camp (as a nurse, strangely), and my boss showed this to me. I went out and bought the album immediately.

8. Of the albums you own, which has the best cover art?





Wooden Arms by Patrick Watson. The whole package is beautiful.







9. What TV shows are you currently following?

I haven't owned a television since departing the family home. But if I did have one, I'd probably still be watching episodes of Road to Avonlea...

10. What is your current ringtone?

I think it's called "classic."

11. And finally, would you rather have the ability to fly or turn invisible?

Fly - I'd feel creepy being invisible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP