In The Know...11 Questions w/ Boats

>> Tuesday 31 August 2010


Boats just might be my favourite local band.

Seriously.

Their latest release, Cannonballs, Cannonballs is home to smart, sophisticated, and enviably inventive pop that runs amok all over its 12 tracks. And each listen reveals something fresh and exciting, making it one of those rare and rewarding efforts I actively seek out.

See the band perform these highly eccentric pop tunes on September 9th at the U of W, then again on October 2nd at the friendly neighbourhood Lo Pub.

The band's touring lineup features a revolving cast of Winnipeg musical characters all built around singer-songwriter Mat Klachefsky. I recently tracked down the band's leader for 11 questions, and below is what he had to say.


1. Where are you right now?

I am in my house that I am about to move out of.  There is no furniture so everything is in piles on the floor.

Let’s talk Winnipeg…

2. Who is the most underrated Winnipeg-based band?

Ian La Rue!  Guy has been putting out records quietly for the last 8 years or so and they are great, especially his new one A History of Layers.  Plus it’s fun to yell his name out in crowds.

3. What is your favourite local venue?

That’s a tough one…  For comfort, I’ll say Lo-Pub, it’s a great little spot but the building is not the best set up for live music.  The West End Cultural Center is the best pure-music venue but it’s more of a theatre.

4. Where do you shop for music?




Music Trader!  Employee discount!!





5. Where is the best place in town to catch a bite?

There’s a million good places but I’ll say Falafel House.  It’s near my house.  They got good breakfast and falafel and sometimes the cook yells at people.

6. What’s the worst bus route in the city?

ALL OF THEM.  Winnipeg has the worst bus system on earth.

And some hodgepodge…

7. What are some albums that completely changed your life?

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over The Sea
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
Matador Records - Everything is Nice Compliation

8. Of the albums you own, which has the best cover art?

Without looking at every cover in my collection I’m going to say Grandaddy – Sophtware Slump.  I’m a sucker for rolling hills.

9. What TV shows are you currently following?








I’m on Season 4 of the Wire.






10. What is your current ringtone?

Funny you ask, I just got my first ever cell phone and no one has called me yet so I don’t know.

11. And finally, would you rather have the ability to fly or to turn invisible? 

Flying would make touring way easier.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  1 September 2010 at 11:29  

mmm.....falafel house

mmm......the wire

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP