In The Know...11 Qs With Great Bloomers

>> Monday 8 February 2010



At an economical $12 ($15 at the door), tomorrow night’s Rural Alberta Advantage, Wooden Sky, and Great Bloomers bill at the West End is easily the best-value-per-dollar night of this fresh year.

Great Bloomers get the party started at around 8 tomorrow with their contagious, well-crafted folk-rockers. Since the release of their debut album Speak of Trouble, the Toronto-based quintet has earned heavy play on the Canadian University airwaves and CBC Radio 3. Try not to miss their set.

If you can’t make it out tomorrow night, I’ve got a first-rate consolation prize. The generous, Painting-Over-Silence-supporting folks at Maple Music have sent along two copies of Speak of Trouble for giveaway. Entering is standard fare: send me an email (on the side) by Louis Riel Day (Monday for non-Manitobans) @ noon CST with the subject line “Great Bloomers CD Giveaway”, and your name in the body. I’ll draw the winners randomly and email the lucky pair shortly afterward.

Also, I peppered Great Bloomers leader Lowell Sostomi with 11 interest-unearthing Qs. Subjects broached: favourite place to play a gig, Conan v. Leno, the Winter Olympics, and TV shows on his radar.

Gotta love that Sunny in Philadelphia.


1. Where are you right now?
On my bed with my cat

Let's talk music...


2. Where is your favourite place in Canada to play a gig?
Fort Erie, my home town. There is nothing quite like the warm welcome we get from everyone there!

3. What’s one piece of equipment absolutely essential to your live show? 
My Fulltone 2 Overdrive pedal. I swear by it.

4. What are your top three, all-time, desert-island records?
The Band - The Band
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue

5. Where do you shop for music?
Sonic Boom, She Said Boom, and sometimes Soundscapes... but I mostly buy vinyl.

6. Of the albums you own, which has the best cover art?
I love this question. Some of my favorites include: Ozark Mountain Daredevils - S/T, Animal Collective - Here Comes the Indian, Smog - Knock Knock, The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Karen Dalton - It's so Hard to Tell Who is Going to Love You the Best, Van Morrison - Astral Weeks.

And some hodgepodge..


7.Conan or Leno?
CONAN.

8. Simpsons, South Park, or Family Guy? 
Simpsons Seasons 3-9

9. What’s your favourite winter Olympics sport?
Anything with high speeds involved. Luge, Skiing.. stuff like that.

10. What TV shows are you currently following? 
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Curb, Summer Heights High, and watching lots of reruns of the Larry Sanders Show.

11. And finally…who’s your favourite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, or Raphael?)
I always liked Michelangelo.


***
Congrats to Lori on winning the Jenn Grant cd. I'll get that out to you asap.

Infinite Playlist: Great Bloomers - Speak of Trouble

5 comments:

Anonymous,  9 February 2010 at 13:27  

are you listening to a cd your giving away mykael? :o)

Mykael 9 February 2010 at 13:46  

Ha!

Nah, it's my own copy. Perk of this gig.

willlllllll,  10 February 2010 at 00:05  

show was awesome tonight. dollar for dollar, an absolute bargain.

Anonymous,  10 February 2010 at 11:25  

Great Bloomers impressed me.
Wooden Sky were very good as expected.
I'm not a huge fan of the RAA so their set delivered about what I expected.

Have to agree with Willllllll though, it was a bargain to see 3 excellent bands for that price.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP