In The Know...11 Q's With The Paperbacks

>> Saturday 23 January 2010




Sometimes when you ask unusual questions, you get really fun and thoughtful responses.

It comes as no surprise that Winnipeg’s treasured lit-rockers, The Paperbacks, provided Painting Over Silence with such answers. After all, to release an ambitious, 32-song double-album like Lit from Within requires some serious deliberation, ardor, and self-discipline. And, oh yeah, talent. A bold indie-rock tome loaded with frontman Doug McLean’s clever and alluring narratives guided along by bassist/producer Jaret McNabb’s skillful production, Lit from Within is sure to win these fellows even more recognition across Canada (and Winnipeg). And did I mention it’s a double disc?

Translation: twice the tunes for 1.5x the price!

If you’re interested in winning a copy, shoot me an email (on the right) by Friday @ noon CST with “Lit From Within – Giveaway” in the subject line and your name in the body. I’ll draw a name randomly and contact the winner shortly thereafter.

Recently, I posed 11 Q's to founding members Doug (vocals, guitars, and words) and Jaret  (bass, keyboards, percussion, vocals, and production), and they provided me with 11 great A's. Proper nouns thrown around: every wordsmith’s favourite game (Scrabble), one of the hardest video games ever (TMNT for NES), Painting-Over-Silence-banner-gracer (Jack Jonasson), and literary heavyweight Jonathan Safran Foer’s first stab at non-fiction (Eating Animals.)

Catch them perform the just-released Lit from Within in its entirety tonight at the West End Cultural Centre, or pick up the disc at indie shops around town. Thanks to Doug and Jaret for taking part.

1. Where are you right now?


Doug McLean: I'm at the downtown branch of the Winnipeg Public Library, sort of
behind a plant.
Jaret McNabb: Winnipeg, in my studio.

Let's talk Winnipeg…


2. Who is the most underrated Winnipeg-based band?

DM: There's so many! The City Champs are a great band that has our friend
Andrew Filyk (who contributed some guitars to our new CD). Wolbachia
(who were previously known as Kursk). The Eardrums. The Ex-Girlfriends.
The Magificent Sevens. Tons more...
JM: Venetian Snares, not so much a band but an offendingly overlooked
electronic artist.

3. What is you favourite local venue?

DM: Any place that puts bands on is fine by me. But if I had to pick, The Lo
Pub is a nice place run by our old drummer, Jack Jonasson...it has a
really diverse schedule in terms of types of music/events, ranging from
indie rock to DJ nights to film presentations. It also has a stellar
menu and Scrabble.
JM: The West End Cutural Centre.

4. Where do you shop for music?

DM: I know this is the wrong answer, since this is under the "Let's talk
Winnipeg" heading, but...on computers. I do pay! I would just rather
have the files than the discs/platters/etc.
JM: Making music is really expensive. I limit my purchases to vinyl
from artists I really admire and usually they are limited pressing not
carried in our local shops. That said I support all our local shops
whenever I can find some stuff I'm looking for. Into the Music, Music
Trader and War On Music.

5. Where is the best place to catch a bite?


DM: Lo Pub, Falafel Place, Mondragon, Delicious Vegetarian.
JM: The veggie burger and the North Star Drive In is amazing. If I
wanted a beef burger, my loyalty will always be with Superboys. Two
North End monuments.

6. What is the worst bus route?


DM: In Winnipeg? All of them. There's a mythical one known as "The 76" that,
despite what it says, goes directly from the University of Manitoba to
Everywhere On Earth That You're Not Going.
JM: The Winnipeg Transit System.

And some hodgepodge…


7. What is one piece of equipment absolutely essential to your live show?

DM: Judging by how it goes when I don't have one of these, I would say
tuning pedal.
JM: Doug is the essential piece of the puzzle, if he didn't show up
there's be no point. He can do what he does on a $2 pawn shop acoustic
and it would have some merit.

8. What are your top-five, all-time, desert-island records?

DM: I'm not good at this! If you ever want to do a top 800,000 desert island
records sometime, I'm your guy. But, okay, here's a try:
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
Des Ark - Loose Lips Sink Ships
Archers of Loaf - All The Nation's Airports
Rainer Maria - Catastrophe Keeps Us Together
...and all I can think of is what I'm missing! My desert island would
suck. I would just stare at my 5 records and whine about not having,
like, Prince bootlegs.

JM: Today, under all this pressure to spit out an answer, um, I grab for :
John Frusciante - The Empyrean
Last Step -1961
The Mars Volta - Amputecture
The Beatles - Does the new box set count?
Superchunk - Foolish

9. What book(s) are you currently reading?

DM: On the go: "Cecil and Jordan in New York" by Gabrielle Bell, "Notes From
the Air" by John Ashberry, "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer
and, for about the fifth time, "No One Belongs Here More Than You" by
Miranda July.
JM: I just finished "American Woman, the Story of the Guess Who" by John
Einarson.

10. What is your favourite Winter Olympics sport?

DM: Is there anything synchronized? Synchronized skating or skiing or
something? If so, that.
JM: Free Ross Rebagliati !!!

11. And finally, a toughie. Who is your favourite Teenage Mutant Ninja
Turtle (Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, or Raphael)?

DM: Donatello, for his calm introspection. And also, in the original NES
game, his attacks did the most damage. Dichotomy!
JM: Raphael, dude!

Infinite Playlist: The Paperbacks - Lit from Within

2 comments:

Dana,  26 January 2010 at 10:22  

Love that Safran Foer book. Convincing read.

willlllllll,  1 February 2010 at 22:52  

love the comment re: #76 bus.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP