Sing From The Back Of A Train - Sunset Rubdown Live At The West End

>> Monday 6 July 2009

(Far right: The bassist kinda looks like Bruno).

(Not quite sure what keyboardist/percussionist Camilla Wynne Ingr was doing half the time, but she added gorgeous textures to the sound).
(The Witchies)

"Thanks very much for coming out to see us on a Sunday night," said Sunset Rubdown's leader Spencer Krug last night, with utmost sincerity. Twice.

I must admit, I appreciated Krug's words. Despite the show ending early (11:10), it always takes me an hour or two to wind down after a particularly awesome concert, like yesterday evening's, and this normally mean a very tired, almost painful workday morning, especially when you're the kind of person who needs, inexorably, a full eight to function properly.

So yeah, I was deeply impressed with Sunset Rubdown's live show - it was engaging and loaded with complex but accessible dynamic shifts, sparkling melodies, and Krug's touching quaver. Heavy with tunes from the just-released and veritably fantastic Dragonslayer, the band played for just over an hour and were tight and clearly passionate about what they do. Sure the set was short and left me craving more. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'd go see them again in a heartbeat.

The Witchies were one of two openers, and I enjoyed their gritty sound. Plus, I loved and laughed hard when the singer asked some fairly discourteous guys in the front row if he was interrupting something.

Unfortunately, I didn't arrive in time for Elfin Saddle.

Infinite Playlist: Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer

3 comments:

velvet2step,  7 July 2009 at 01:13  

Camilla was great! She was actually playing the cymbals with a vibrator if you can believe it. Really enjoyed the show, but hated the curfew. Not sure if it's a WECC thing or if SR just started late.

Churchgoer 7 July 2009 at 10:22  

Those "fairly discourteous guys" are friends of mine. According to them, they were saying something like, "man, I've seen the Witchies before, but this time I really like what I'm hearing," or something to that effect. I was sitting in the back shaking my head.

Another particularly funny moment:
Later, the same guys were trying to get Spenser Krug to verify whether his last name was pronounced "Crugg" or "Crooog." So they started yelling "Crooog," but it sounded like they were booing. And, of course, once they realized this they started yelling "Crooog" even louder. Once again, I was shaking my head.

Mykael 7 July 2009 at 18:15  

Context should be considered here.

I, of course, observed this from the mezzanine where I was surrounded by disinterested people text messaging (you could tell because their faces were lit up like they were telling ghost stories around a camp fire). Good thing the Witchies' leader never saw!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP