11 Questions With...The Furr

>> Tuesday 16 June 2009


Winnipeg’s The Furr make good ol’ indie r’n’r with an emphasis on brain-sticking melodies. Their song "You're So Popular", off their EP The How Fortunate You Are and available for free on their website, embodies their aesthetic - it's an irresistible little number with a huge, resounding sing-a-long chorus. Comprised of dynamic foursome Darcy Penner, Spencer Chambers, Matt Dyck, Matt Austman (left-to-right in the photo), The Furr are gearing up for a June 19th appearance at Toronto’s sure-to-be-awesome NXNE festival, yet still took the time to answer some interest-revealing Qs for me (well, Matt Austman did).

Here’s what Matt had to say (thanks to him for doing this). Oh, and you can catch the guys round these parts on Sunday: they're performing a couple shows in celebration of World Music Day (which coincidentally falls on Father's Day this year).

1. Where are you right now?

My basement apartment!

2. Who is your favourite Winnipeg-based band (other than your own, of course)?

The Waking Eyes, although there's several others I'm quite fond of.

3. Where is the best venue to catch a show in our fair town?

The Cavern!

4. What’s the worst bus route in the city?

Any bus route on a Sunday, seriously, it's all brutal then. Actually even during the week most buses I find run late, or rush their route, and smell really bad. And people always look miserable on the bus, almost all have looks of utter despair, it's depressing and bleak. Not to discourage people from taking the bus though, it's good for the environment. We need people to take it, then the government will invest in it more. Don't even get me started.

5. What are your top three, all-time favourite records?

The Velvet Underground & Nico
Weezer (Blue Album)
Against Me! (Reinventing Axl Rose)

6. Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert?

Both have their own unique styles, but I'll go with Colbert. He makes me giggle.

7. At this very moment, would you rather listen to Radiohead or The Beatles?

The Beatles

8. What is one song you love, but dismiss as “a guilty pleasure”?

I cannot get “Poker Face” by Lady Gaga out of my head. I feel a bit guilty that I may like it.

9. What’s your favourite all-time film?

Sin City totally blew me away, and still does every time I see it. I'll go with that. I find good, well thought out endings are important to me.

10. What book(s) are you currently reading?

The Malaise of Modernity by Charles Taylor

11. And finally…who’s your favourite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, or Raphael?

Leonardo! There's just something about him.

***

Some more shows...

The Darcys play an in-store set at Music Trader on June 24th @ 8 pm.

The Phenomenauts stop in at the Pyramid on July 31st.

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus will be there on August 18th.

Infinite Playlist: The National - Boxer

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP