Congratulations To The Winnipeg Jets On Winning The Stanley Cup

>> Saturday 21 June 2008


So said Stars' frontman Torquil Campbell last night during the band's set at the Pantages Playhouse, their second visit to the Peg in seven months. Torq seems to get a kick out of us not having an NHL team anymore (he's mentioned this before), and I suppose if I hailed from a city (Montreal) home to an always entertaining and competitive hockey team, I'd gleefully rile up concert attendees from a city who overly lament the loss of their beloved NHL team. For the record, Torq did say it was a "fucking joke" we no longer have a team, so deep down, he's really on our side. Amen, brother.

Anyways, the Advocates Of Love played a palatable, hour-and-a-half long set of their unique brand of romantic pop, including crowd favourites "Elevator Love Letter", "Your Ex-Love Is Dead", showing off the cute boy/girl vocal exchanges that make their sound so refreshing. During the encore they even played their wonderful cover of The Smiths' "This Charming Man", a number I've never heard them do live previously.

Our seats were astonishingly good (second row, center) until Torq demanded everyone rush the front, so we (Kelsey, my girlfriend; Phil, one of my best pals) were instantly surrounded by hot, sweaty bodies who ruined any chance I had at snapping a pic of all six band members (I had to shoot above heads).

While I didn't enjoy them as much as in November, probably because the set was so similar, I'm still glad I went. However, they'll need to release a new record before I see them again.

Anyone else there?

Current rotation: The Netherland/Russia Euro 2008

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP