Dinosaur Jr. and Social Distortion to play Winnipeg! Oh my!

>> Wednesday 7 March 2007

Every now and then I am surprised by which acts roll through Winnipeg. Today was one of those bewildering days since I read both Dinosaur Jr. and Social Distortion will be playing (separate) dates here.

While both are a welcomed shock, I can't help but wonder why acts I'd be willing to bend over backwards for NEVER come here. Surely Sigur Ros, Bjork, Stereolab, Iron and Wine, Beck, Belle & Sebastien, and Radiohead would be able to charge a ton for a ticket and still sell out the suitable venue. No? But then I remember we have a high entertainment tax (I think) and are geographically located away from a lot of major cities (Minneapolis is the closest at a solid 8 hours away plus problems at the border). So, I guess I should be happy anyone comes here...

Show details:

Dinosaur Jr. (original lineup too!) play the Garrick Theatre on May 29th. Tickets go on sale Friday and are around $30 plus fees and taxes.

Social Distortion - with only one original member, singer Mike Ness - play the Burt on April 27th. Apparently it has been over a decade since they were last here. I was but a lad then. Tickets range from $29.50 to $37.50 plus taxes and fees.

Other shows:

What the Free Press dub's "Italy's answer to Evanescence", Lacuna Coil, play the Garrick on May 22nd. Did Italy need an answer to Evanescence? Tickets are $21 plus taxes and fees.

Vancouver's Front Line Assembly will be front and center at the Pyramid on April 21. Go industrial rock! Tickets are $20 plus taxes and fees.

Hellogoodbye, from Cali, will greet Winnipegers at the Burt on April 14th. Tickets are $16 or $19 plus taxes and fees.

Hamilton singer-songwriter Tomi Swick will be at the Garrick on April 14th. Tickets are $17.50 plus taxes and fees.

You'll notice I wrote "plus taxes and fees" after each ticket price. This was intentional since I meant to drill home this point: never underestimate "plus taxes and fees". On Friday I bought two Feist tickets online for $29.50 a pop, and I wound up paying $10 in taxes and fees PER TICKET.


$20 in fees for two tickets!! Gimme a break you asshole gougers. And the saddest part of this whole ordeal is there is no alternative.

Current rotation: Nick Drake

1 comments:

Anonymous,  10 November 2008 at 06:47  

This is great info to know.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP